Honkin big sea glass, seaside cliffs and cairns, oh my!

>> Wednesday, August 17, 2011

This past Saturday we took our annual (this is our second year and we plan to do it again next year, so that makes it "annual" now right?) trip out to Block Island, RI with the motorcycles.

A gorgeous day riding around the island and stopping at the beaches to wade, look for sea glass and relax.

I was lucky enough to find the first piece of glass

We stopped at the breath taking Mohegan Bluffs on the south side of the island
In the 16th century the island natives, the Niantic chased the invading Mohegan tribe off the bluffs, nearly 200 feet to their deaths. Climbing up and down the bluffs today is made possible by way of a 144 step staircase built into the side.
At the base of the bluffs, there are cairns (man made rock stack formations) everywhere.
Some were simply amazing.
Then on the west side of the island I found an uber piece of turquoise. And at the exact moment that I yelled out to Ed to come look at the color I found he calls out to me "does it look anything like this?" and walks up behind me with a teal chunk (and I do mean chunk) of insulator glass.
Holy freakin smokes! There's a reason I married this guy. This just might be it.
We win for the best glass found this weekend. ;)

5 comments:

Jill August 17, 2011 at 6:48 PM  

Looks like a beautiful spot!! And - what great finds - I'm heading back to PEI in a couple of weeks - I'll be out everyday - hope I'm as lucky!!

Completely Coastal August 18, 2011 at 4:42 PM  

Oh, how wonderful your finds!! We didn't make it that far, since we were on foot! Maybe next time we rent a bike or bring the car. It's great for just a day trip.

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife August 21, 2011 at 3:52 PM  

It looks gorgeous out there! And what wonderful finds! The east coast definitely is better for the treasures.

Unknown August 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM  

I've not found that much glass in my life let alone a vacation! DAMN

Kim@Snug Harbor January 7, 2012 at 10:42 PM  

I love finding seaglass but those pieces might be the best ones I've ever seen.

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP