I am purging, boy am I ever purging.

>> Monday, April 4, 2011

This weekend I worked on my bedroom closet. I thought it was fitting, since I have also been purging myself of some extra LB's since January and this week I crossed the 20 pounds lost mark!

Unfortunately, one of the things that comes with a small ranch house is small bedrooms with small closets. No such thing as a "master bedroom with walk-in closet and en suite" around here!

I share a barely double closet with my husband and typically, it looks like a bomb went off in there.

I have so many different sizes of clothes, I could start my own resale shop! I don't know why I hang on to this stuff. I guess fear I will need it some day or something? Well, I am tired of hanging on to things that don't fit- I am not going to live my life worrying that I will gain weight again. I have worked hard and am staying confident that I will no longer need those larger sized clothes.

I think I am also past needing to hang onto things that I've had since pre marriage and children (15+ years!) I am NOT going to wear that dress or those shoes any time soon.

I am ridding myself of this mound.
Which when neatly folded amounted to this
Which filled 4 kitchen trash bags and then some to the point of stuffed- which will be donated to Salvation Army.
I also cleared out my dresser drawers, but forgot to take a "before" photo. Here are the after shots of the cupboards in my dresser
I swapped out my heavy winter duvet for my lighter weight quilt, which freed up some of the upper shelf space in the closet.
I have a new home for my extra blankets inside this chest.
I scored these organizers from my neighbor's trash pile (yes, I'm a picker, but that's fashionable these days, isn't it?!)
I love that my sweaters won't topple over and fall on my head every time I reach up for one.
My LL Bean tote bag holds all my smaller hand bags and wallets while the pink quilted beach bag (made by my friend Maggie at Maggie's Handcraft Studio) holds all my bigger purses so I can swap out easily and keep everything accessible.
I still need to come up with a better shelving system for all the shoes on the floor, but at least with the random junk sorted out, it is tidied and I can find the shoes I want without shoving things about while sitting on the floor rooting around like a truffle hog!
And the best parts of this process are:
1. The organizing didn't cost me a dime!
2. I have room to put in some new clothes for the newly sized me!

5 comments:

Donna@Conghaile Cottage April 7, 2011 at 11:44 AM  

I am OH SO JEALOUS as I look over at my JAMMED Closet! My Mom used to purge yearly by leaving a box near the front door and asking everyone to contribute to it. We would dump LOTS of stuff in there "Just for the convenience of the "BIG BOX". Then it would be carted off to Good Will...I think I'm going to follow your inspiration and do the same!
Thanks for sharing,
Hugs, Donna

Leslie {Goodbye, house. Hello, home!} April 7, 2011 at 6:13 PM  

Look at you go, girl!
Doesn't it feel better to have neat piles? :)
I like neat piles!
I am proud of you for the weight loss, too! I lost 40 pounds 4 years ago and I know how much work it is (and how rewarding it is!)
I got rid of my larger wardrobe (sz. 18 and 20) and now wear 10s and 12s. I make sure I watch myself so I don't gain the weight again.
And I did gain a little, but I am back at WW, getting it off...
you won't miss those clothes. Ever.
I love what you did--purging is a good thing, yes?
HUGS,
~me

~Lavender Dreamer~ April 7, 2011 at 8:08 PM  

You've done GREAT! I know I need to spend some time in my closet! lol ♥

Unknown April 8, 2011 at 3:55 PM  

This is beautiful... I'm sobbing, I tell you. I'm doing the same thing and Its so nice to know Im not alone. Sometimes I feel I will never be done honestly. Like today when I did nothing towards organizing. But honestly - honey, Im exhausted

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP