Simple Summery Salad Using Garden Veggies and Herbs... and Pyrex!

>> Saturday, July 23, 2011

I threw this salad together in just a few minutes and because all the veggies were fresh picked from my garden, the cost was super low!



The great thing about a salad like this is you can make it your own by using whatever you have on hand or whatever vegetables and herbs you prefer.

For today's salad I used: (most of these measurements are rough approximations)

1 (5.8 oz) box of 5 minutes Couscous, cooked according to package directions and cooled
1 green bell pepper, diced
1 medium zucchini, cubed
1 medium yellow squash, cubed
2 ribs celery, diced
1/2 red onion, diced
10-15 yellow and red cherry tomatoes, halved
1 (6 oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
10-12 leaves fresh basil
4-5 fresh mint leaves
1 handful of fresh flat leaf parsley
extra virgin olive oil*
lemon juice*
2-3 dashes hot sauce (to taste)


Basically, I added the couscous and the vegetable ingredients into a bowl, finely chopped all the herbs and then added those to the bowl as well. Next I dressed the salad with the lemon juice, olive oil and hot sauce and last I added the feta and tossed everything together.

Serve immediately or chill it in the fridge for 30 minutes or more. This is even better the next day when the flavors have had time to combine.

Of course serving it in pretty vintage Pyrex is always a nice touch too. :)

*I did not measure the oil or the lemon juice, I just drizzled it in slowly and stirred until everything was well coated/to taste.


Usually I like to add in some nice Kalamata olives, today I completely forgot to pick them up when I popped to the market for the feta cheese. some other tasty ingredients I've added to this salad in the past are: red bell peppers, chick peas, cucumbers and fresh (raw) green beans

3 comments:

Rose Clearfield July 24, 2011 at 1:22 AM  

This sounds amazing! I love couscous and need to start using it in salads more often.

Diann July 24, 2011 at 11:01 AM  

Oh yum! Just wanted to let you know you are guest Chef today over at DTL herbs!

Barbara F. July 24, 2011 at 11:14 AM  

This sounds so delicious. I bought a very similar salad at the supermarket and a small container was $7.00! And it did not have all the veggies yours has. I will try this. Visiting from Diann's blog. xo,

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP