What are these lovelies growing in my yard?

>> Tuesday, April 20, 2010

We bought our house last summer and by the time we moved, painted and settled in, basically everything in our yard had already done it's thing and we figured we'd wait until this spring to start doing the guessing game as to what was growing around the property. These are some pretty flowering somethings I have in my backyard. One is a bush, one a tree and then the little plant thing I have no clue if it's a planting or a weed. Can anyone help me out?

The tree has these wonderful, rich magenta colored flowers with burgundy leaves.


This bush has teeny tiny little white flowers cascading down the branches. My mother thinks it "bridal" something or "wedding" something but can't recall.



And this- bee balm? It's the only thing that even remotely comes across my mind when I look at it but I don't think they grow in quite such a clump do they?...

9 comments:

Unknown April 21, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

Could the first ones be azaleas?

they look sort of like something I have that are...

Tara Beaulieu April 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM  

Hi Tracy, it sorta does look like an azalea, but it's a 20 ft high tree, not a shrub, so it can't be! :)

Linda @ Itsy Bits And Pieces April 21, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Hi Tara- just wanted you to know I received your beautiful earrings from the giveaway at Low Tide High Style! I just love them and mentioned them in my blog today! Love your blog- and am now a follower! Thanks again! Linda

Unknown April 22, 2010 at 4:55 AM  

I dont know how big they grow - They can be trained into trees I know that and I did a search just now for azalea trees and came up with some http://www.flickr.com/photos/24757030@N08/2390467989/

I have no idea about plants though ... I just thought I remembered that some kinds were more tree like - and not the trained shrubs .. more a variety

Stephanie April 22, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

Good luck naming your plants...I would do a search of some kind for plants in your area or take a cutting to a local garden center..at least you know that they are beautiful! Peace, Stephanie

Tara Beaulieu April 22, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

Huh, I have never heard of an azalea tree, Tracy, thank you for the info, those photos do sorta look like my tree. I'll have to find out-
Stephanie, I think your idea of taking a cutting to a local nursery makes tons of sense, that's what I'm going to do, thank you both!

Linda, oh good, I'm so glad you're happy with them. Wear them well! :)

Anonymous,  April 22, 2010 at 3:18 PM  

The first pic - Dogwood tree.

Anonymous,  April 22, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

white flowers could be snowmound spiraea...

D. Jean Quarles April 23, 2010 at 11:38 PM  

They are beautiful. No clue what they are but, ahhhhhh.

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP