And she's still baking...

>> Friday, July 9, 2010

Although this time, from a mix. (Or rather FOUR mixes, a dozen eggs, almost a 1/2 gallon of water and 3 cups of vegetable oil!)

It's my nephew's 7th birthday tomorrow and for the second year in a row, my gift to him (at his request) is his cake. This year I made him a football helmet with his team logo. He plays Pop Warner Football and his team is the Falcons. Theirs uniforms replicate those of their NFL team counterparts, the Atlanta Falcons.

The helmet sits atop a giant sheet cake. Here it is frosted with a "crumb layer".

I level the helmet cake by slicing off the uneven portion on the bottom side.

Once it's centered, I begin by outlining the face mask and freehanding the basics of the team logo.

Then I filled in the rest of the helmet with dark chocolate (the Falcons colors are black and red, but I find the taste of black frosting is really chemically because of the amount of food coloring it takes to darken the frosting and really, who doesn't love chocolate?!)

Finally, I draw in the shape of the falcon. First, outlining in silver and white

then filling in with red, white and more dark chocolate.

Happy Birthday, Noah!

I can't wait to see you tomorrow and the boys are looking forward to having you over for a sleepover afterwards! We love you!

11 comments:

Rose Clearfield July 9, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

That looks great! I hope that he has a wonderful birthday. :)

jenn July 10, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

That came out awesome! Nice job.

D. Jean Quarles July 11, 2010 at 1:16 AM  

Very well done. I bet it tastes as good as it looks.

Maggie July 11, 2010 at 11:57 AM  

Looks great! I think it is wonderful he appreciates a nice cake made especially for him.

Leslie July 11, 2010 at 7:31 PM  

Wow, you did really good! I want a piece! lol Happy Birthday Noah!

Tara Beaulieu July 11, 2010 at 7:33 PM  

Aww, thank you everyone! :) He loved it!

Tammy July 12, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

Great job on the cake. It's awesome.

CastoCreations July 12, 2010 at 8:56 AM  

WOW!!!!!!! You could be on that show Cake Boss. :)

Anonymous,  July 12, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

Great cake!

Amy Lilley Designs July 12, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

WONDERFUL Tara...and such fun...hope everyone enjoyed eating it as much as all the 'ooooo's' and 'ahhhhh's' it must have received!!!! A very Happy 7th Birthday to Noah..:))

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP