The Growings On in my Tiny Garden Patch

>> Wednesday, July 14, 2010

What a difference a month makes!

Taken the day I planted- June 19th

Taken this afternoon- July 14th


Things I've learned for next year:

1. Cucumbers are crazy! They grow like an inch a day and they are leafy as all get out! Next year they'll be planted on the western edge of the garden so they don't shade any of the other plants. I am constantly tying them up to keep them contained!




2. Tomatoes get tall- FAST! I put cages over them last week and already have two that I had to replace with larger cages because they shot up over the tops- literally overnight!



3. Peppers are SLOW. And I am impatient. One each of the Green Bell and the Portuguese Hot. That's all I've got so far.



We've already mapped out the garden for next year and it will quadruple in size (at least) from this year. We're going to grow about 15 tomato plants instead of 4 and we're also going to add some melons, some lettuce and some more variety of peppers. I can't wait!

4 comments:

jenn July 14, 2010 at 11:07 PM  

It looks awesome!!!! I wish we had a garden this year...maybe next year. I have never had any luck with melons. We've tried growing watermelons and cantaloupe, and never got any fruit. I hope yours are successful next year.

Ann Flowers July 15, 2010 at 6:50 AM  

You have got a nice garden out there. I think a connection with plants means a connection with the nature itself.

Anonymous,  July 15, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Tomatoes do grow fast! I don't use cages, I tie them to a stake as they grow up, because more often than not, they outgrow the cages and then they simply fall over! Try tying them next year :)

Amy Lilley Designs July 15, 2010 at 7:59 PM  

beautiful, beautiful, beautiful...enjoy your bounty!!!! (I posted a pic today as well..:)))

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP