Easy project- how to repot your house plants

>> Thursday, March 3, 2011

I was in the store today where I bought some pretty glazed pots and soil so I could repot some of my house plants into larger containers. When I checked out, the cashier mentioned that she had plants she knew needed to be put into bigger pots but she wasn't sure how to do it.

It dawned on me that maybe there were some folks out there who might be scared to repot for fear they'll do something wrong and kill the plant.

It's really pretty easy. First off, I assume you have a plant in need of a larger home. If you plant has stopped growing or if you can see roots poking out, it's time to upgrade.

When shopping for your new pot, make sure you only go up 1 size. Also, make sure that there is an adequate drainage hole in the bottom of the pot.

When you get your pots home, scrub them with hot water to get them good and clean. While they're drying, you should water the plants that are ready to be repotted and let the water drain out of them fully. (Wait 20-30 minutes)

In the bottom of each pot, place a single layer of small rocks or gravel (I used some clean beach stones that I've had accumulating in jars in my studio)
Next, add a layer of potting soil and then saturate it using a spray bottle.
Remove the plant (with its root ball intact) from it's current pot. If the roots are tightly bound together, loosen them gently with your fingers
Place the plant into its new container. Fill in around the plant with more potting soil.
The new soil level should be about 1/4" over the existing root ball; about 1/2" from the rim of the new pot. Be sure to press the soil in firmly so it doesn't settle later. Spray down the new soil layer with more water and you're done!
These babies are looking lovely in their new digs!

3 comments:

Unknown March 3, 2011 at 9:54 AM  

you are invited to follow my blog

Completely Coastal March 4, 2011 at 6:28 PM  

Thanks so much for coming to my birthday cake party!!!

This reminds me that I don't have any houseplants. Not one! No green thumb at all. Luckily there's plenty of green to see when I look out the windows.

Anonymous,  March 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM  

I was just thinking the other day as I was watering some of my plants that as soon as it gets warmer outside I need to take them all out and repot. I have some huge ones! My friends think that since I have a bigger house I need plants!

bee blessed
mary

Oh those muffins look great. I noticed you used Splenda in them . I worked for an alternative Dr and we found many of the problems people were having with headaches and stomach problems were solved when they would get off this. I just wanted to mention it in case you may have some symptoms- The Stevia they have on the market now is an herb and much better for you-

Ok I'm off my soapbox now- :)

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP