A mini walkabout in Back Bay, Boston

>> Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This week for Vintage Thingies Thursday -hosted by Suzanne over at Coloradolady's- I thought I would give you a little photo tour of the Back Bay area in Boston. Ed and I spent a wonderful 4 day weekend with none of the kids (thanks Big Ed and Grandma Rose!) in Boston Massachusetts, taking much time to walk around the town and admire the beautiful sites (including some amazing architecture!)

An MIT sailboat out on the Charles

Longfellow Bridge, spanning between Cambridge and Boston

Views from a footbridge on the banks of the Charles River


We didn't do the more traditional stuff like the Duck Boat Tours or Visiting the USS Constitution, we were vacationing on the cheap- our splurge was allowing one decadent breakfast from room service and an hour long in-room massage!

That being said, we took to the streets and wandered whichever direction we felt like heading, stopping to read menus of restaurants along the way so we could plan ahead for future meals.

Please enjoy the photos!

The Infamous Citgo Sign from our hotel window

Boston Public Library

Church of the Covenant on Newbury Street

Engine Company 33/Ladder Company 15 Boston FD

Trinity Church

Old South Church

A private residence

Outside Sugar Heaven on Boylston Street- wrought iron chairs and tables built like butterflies, caterpillars and flowers!

Beautiful Brownstones

The gardens these homes had were nothing less than stunning!

Entrance to The Barclay (private residences)

An entire window display of vintage Singer Sewing Machines at All Saints Spitalfields on Newbury Street

And finally, a few more photos from our 34th floor view at the Westin, Copley Place





Check back tomorrow- I have a few photos of a crazy storm that blew through Boston on Sunday evening!

16 comments:

Coloradolady June 9, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Wow....the architecture of the buildings are wonderful!! I was so excited to see the vintage sewing machines, those are great! Enjoyed your photos so much, I am sure you had a great time. Have a great VTT!

Paulette June 10, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

What great architecture! But I think I could stare at those old sewing machines for hours.

Anonymous,  June 10, 2010 at 8:53 AM  

Gorgeous architecture! Oh, and love those sewing machines :)
My husband just got back from Boston on a business trip. Too bad his wasn't for pleasure!

LV June 10, 2010 at 10:14 AM  

Thank you for taking me along on this great tour of Boston. I visited there once, but never saw this much.

Unknown June 10, 2010 at 11:41 AM  

Wow, those are amazing photos. I'm always shocked when I see photos of cities with long histories - and how obvious it is that they have been around forever.

And an hour long massage - and how I want that! JEALOUS!~

Nancy's Daily Dish June 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM  

What wonderful photos you've shared from your trip. I love all the architecture. That window display full of vintage sewing machines is too cool!

Your breakfast looked so good but I bet that massage was sooooo relaxing!

Thanks for sharing so many great photos!

CC June 10, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

Ohhhhhhhhh,how absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing your trip with us. Happy VTT..

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove June 10, 2010 at 2:52 PM  

Breathtaking pictures! And the fod pictures, well let just sy now my stomach is growling!

Sally Annie Magundy June 10, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

Thank you so much for the tour and gorgeous photos! I've never been to Boston and it was such fun to follow along with you.

Happy VTT,
Sally

Michelle June 10, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

Such beautiful architecture on some of the old buildings.

Fascinating window with all of the vintage sewing machines.

Thanks so much for sharing! Having never been to Boston I enjoyed all the scenery.

Ann June 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM  

My favorite is the ladder company--just fabulous. All of the buildings are truly spectacular.

D. Jean Quarles June 10, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

Love the vintage sewing machines. Awesome.

Anonymous,  June 10, 2010 at 10:46 PM  

Hope you got to the North End ...I used to live in the Charlestown Navy Yard apartment complex, we commuted by ferry and did all our grocery shopping in the North End. Modern Bakery not Mike's!

Miri June 11, 2010 at 6:39 AM  

Thanks for the tour! I'll have to check out those sewing machines when I next visit DS and DDIL.

Anna Matthews June 11, 2010 at 9:16 AM  

What a great tour. I've only been to Boston once, but I was much younger and our entertainment consisted mostly of hanging out in bars - glad to see what I missed. Love those Singers!

Amy Lilley Designs June 11, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

GREAT P{ICS Tara...looks like yu guys had a FABULOUS time in Boston...would love to see what you captured from the storm last Sunday...

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP