And the Junk Gods looked down and said Let There be PYREX!

>> Wednesday, June 30, 2010

On Saturday morning, I set out bright and early with my yardsale list all mapped out and my cash in hand. 90 minutes and 10 sales later, I came home deflated and disappointed.

The only thing I found worth considering was an old metal watering can, but the seller was firm on his price of $10!-75% of the cash I had, so I told him "No thank you" and headed to my car. He called out to me that several people were interested in it. Seriously? I turned back to him as I climbed into my car and said that perhaps if he wasn't charging so much for it, one of us interested people might have actually purchased it.

Now normally I wouldn't have been so abrupt, but it was a long hot morning and he had it coming. Standing there all smug with his pile of broken things that he wanted an arm and a leg for.

But I digress-

A few minutes after returning home, I realized I was out of 1/2 and 1/2 for the coffee, so I headed back out to the store. I decided to swing by this little junk shop down the road, which is almost never open. Well the junk gods were smiling down on me this day as they were wide open and I walked right in to find Pyrex to my left, Pyrex to my right and Pyrex dead ahead of me!

I played it cool and wandered past it, heading towards the glassware. I wasn't worried about anyone else spotting what I spotted- I was the only person there. I casually picked up a glass and then walked over to a pile of filthy plates, grabbing a small Pyrex bowl as I moved and then sifted through the miscellaneous dishes.

Then I wandered into the lean-to out back and the shed behind that. Nothing too interesting, so I headed back through the winding path of dusty dirty things and towards the exit to find the shop keeper.

As she grabbed a pad and pen (they're real technical with pricing and payments here) I slyly scooped up two more Pyrex pieces -WITH LIDS- and stacked them on the table. "Can you tally me up?" I asked. "I've only got a few dollars on me and don't want to overspend."

"We take checks," she said.

"Oh, I don't believe in checks," I lied back, smiling.

She glanced at the dirty mess I'd stacked up in front of her and says "$10". Inside I'm doing cartwheels, outside I'm cool as a cucumber. *Swoon* 3 lovely Pyrex pieces and a funky 50's glass tumbler for the price of one rusted, dented and rotted watering can.

"I think I just have enough" I replied. We made our exchange, I kept it together long enough to chat with her about my Blue Heaven dishes. Then, as soon as we said our goodbyes, I ran/walked back to the car, anxious to get my beautiful new goodies home.

Here they are in all their disgusting glory. I tell you, they were gross.

The tumbler came complete with a stuck-to-the-inside bug carcass. Yummy.

Grease galore on the tiny Butterprint bowl.

Actual dirt inside the Snowflake Garland casseroles. What- were these buried in someone's yard and just recently unearthed? Ew!


But of course I saw past all that. I know the beauty that likes beneath that grime!

Look at how they glisten now! I feel like the cat that ate the canary!






Next weekend I'm going to see if I can catch them while they're open and I'm going to check to see if the nesting bowls I spotted last week are still there... I didn't want to seem over zealous!

Linking up to Vintage Thingies Thursday with Suzanne, the Coloradolady.

24 comments:

jenn June 30, 2010 at 1:08 PM  

Great finds! I have a tendency to see all the dirt, and not the treasures beneath. I am going to have to go hunting bargains with new eyes now...

Theresa June 30, 2010 at 1:50 PM  

Wow what a steal and all you had to do was give them a good wash. Cool!

Storm, The Psychotic Housewife June 30, 2010 at 3:05 PM  

Oh, I am frothing over here. You lucky, lucky duck! That is a score alright!

Anna June 30, 2010 at 8:15 PM  

An incredible score and a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Postcardy June 30, 2010 at 8:23 PM  

I love that style of Pyrex casserole. I have some that are the pattern of your mixing bowl. I actally saw a large mixing bowl in that pattern at a thrift shop last week. It wasn't expensive, but I just don't have room for more dishes.

Coloradolady June 30, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

Oh, these are wonderful!!! I love how you passed up on one overpriced thing to find such goodness later!!! That is great!!! Have a wonderful VTT and a great holiday weekend.

Maureen June 30, 2010 at 9:06 PM  

Great finds! I've had those moments - like the Ikea commercial where the wife is running out to car, screaming at her husband...start the car, start the car! Hahaha!

CC June 30, 2010 at 9:40 PM  

Great grief..seeing all that Pyrex,how did you stay collected???? I fear that I might have gone into a faint at three pieces of Pyrex. Oh,you are a lucky girl...I would have giggled like a maniac all the way home over my good fortune. You have to go back soon..I hope you find more..Happy VTT..

Pam Kessler June 30, 2010 at 9:46 PM  

Love your great find. That glass is very cool. I probably would have went off on the watering can guy too. I went to an estate sale (really a glorified yard sale) last week and about fainted at the ridiculous prices.

The Charm of Home June 30, 2010 at 9:53 PM  

Oh, Pyrex is great! It last forever and where would my leftovers be without it. Have a great 4th!
Sherry

Vonlipi June 30, 2010 at 9:58 PM  

I'm always happy when someone finds Pyrex! You made lovely finds!

I love the glass the most, super fab!

Gayle June 30, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

Good in everything bad----several pieces you really like instead of the overpriced can---hooray.

I also had a 'start the car, start the car' moment last week at a flea market where a solid walnut telphone stand came home with me for $2. It can seen on my blog http://atmuldoon.blogspot.com/2010/06/what-difference-afternoon-makes

fitty's pinky rose cottage July 1, 2010 at 3:23 AM  

wow great finds it seem! and all so pretty in colours! thanks for sharing. happy VTT

Cherie July 1, 2010 at 4:17 AM  

Beautiful finds that will surely hold some delish food. Have a great week ;-)

Miri July 1, 2010 at 6:31 AM  

Fabulous! Wonderful Pyrex and that glass is such 50s wonderfulness!

Why is it that junk shops never seem to be open?

Loved your comment to the watering can guy-its like the ridiculous prices sometimes on eBay-people who know too little to know that what they have isn't so very terrific !

Susan Freeman July 1, 2010 at 10:16 AM  

So vintage and so fun. Reminds me of the Jetsons!!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

Heartfelt living July 1, 2010 at 11:23 AM  

What a great story and great finds as well! There is just something about 50's kitchen ware that is so cute!
I love all the colors too!
I'm sure they will shine up just lovely.
Happy 4th,
Karen

Anonymous,  July 1, 2010 at 12:07 PM  

Oh man you did good and played it cool too. Great deals. I have one Pyrex bowl out of a set of three we got for a wedding gift 50 yrs ago. I keep looking for matches. Thanks for stopping by.
QMM

Michelle July 1, 2010 at 12:25 PM  

Omigosh, I so enjoyed hearing your internal monologue while on the great hunt, as much as seeing what you actually got--and they are quite lovely.

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove July 1, 2010 at 12:38 PM  

OMG! What great Pyrex finds! and I love them in the blue! Nice thifting!!

SandyS,  July 1, 2010 at 3:49 PM  

You lucky dog! I saw a bowl like the white one at a flea market a couple of weeks ago for $8. Maybe that's because it was clean? I left it on the table.

Tammy July 2, 2010 at 7:08 AM  

Lovely pyrex pieces and the yard sale story was delightful. A most excellent find.

Sue July 2, 2010 at 9:20 AM  

Ooooh Tara, I luv your Pyrex in blue!! I have a deep hankering to buy it all, but the price is always so much at most places. And just what WOULD I be cooking in all of them, anyway???!!! LOL
Thanks so much for dropping by today. I always like to meet new friends in these par-tays. I have to go check out your shells. They look gorgeous!!! Will be back again...
:-) Sue

Paulette July 21, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

I missed this last week, but holy cow, you lucky girl! I don't envy the cleaning part, but you got yourself some nice pieces there. That cup? Amazing!

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP