Kalorik Blender Product Review and Recipe for Pesto

>> Wednesday, September 29, 2010


A while back, I was given the opportunity by the terrific folks at CSN Stores to pick a product of my choosing from their hundreds of stores to review here on my little blog.

After this post where I frustratingly discussed my dead blender, I spent the summer longing for a new blender with high speed and sharp blades that could whip, blend and puree anything my heart desired. Enter my new Kalorik. Isn't she lovely? Isn't she won-der-ful? (everyone sing along now!)

I love her streamlined look and brushed finish. She blends seamlessly (no pun intended!) with my other appliances.

The operating system is really basic and to the point. There is a dial that turns from off to low and then to high- with the option to turn counter clockwise to pulse. What makes this almost overly simple design different is the unique 6 blade design inside.

These blades helped the Kalorik Blender BL to win Cook's Illustrated's Best Buy Award.

Let me tell you- I turned the blender onto "1" (low speed) and it liquified the living daylights out of the basil, pinenuts, garlic and everything else I had stuffed into the 6 cup glass jar!

If I had to make a complaint, the only thing I don't love is the lid. I mean, it does it's job- it stays on securely and nothing coming flying out at you. What it doesn't do is come off easily. The handle in the middle is rounded and hard to grip, so I used the little lip on the edge of the lid to pry it off. And when I tried taking the handle/center of the lid off to stream in a bit of olive oil, the ingredients inside DID splatter out- which never happens on cooking shows on TV,so I had hoped I'd gotten a blender where that wouldn't happen either. Ah well, can't win 'em all!

But again, it did blend like a dream and I never once had to switch to "2" (high speed). It is that powerful! My pesto was creamy smooth and the clean up afterward was fast and easy. It is handwash only, but I don't really mind; I have vintage Pyrex which I use daily. And that has to be hand washed as well- the extra effort for things I love to use in the kitchen is well worth it to me!

So that's my review, now here's my recipe for basic pesto sauce!

Ingredients:

(this makes 2 batches, so I only used half my ingredients at a time)
4 packed cups fresh basil leaves
2 cups fresh parsley
8 cloves of garlic
2/3 cup pine nuts
1 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus a little extra for drizzling
2 TBSP lemon juice
zest of 1 lemon
3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste


This recipe is so simple:

Toast the pine nuts over medium high heat until oils begin to release and they become golden brown (about 3 minutes). Set them aside to cool while you prepare your other ingredients.

Add all ingredients -except parmesan cheese- to your blender and blend until smooth. Add more olive oil at a slow drizzle or a TBSP or 2 of water to thin out if necessary.



If you are eating fresh, pour into a bowl, stir in the parmesan cheese and serve immediately.



If you are planning to freeze, leave the cheese out until ready to thaw and use. Pour your mixture into an air tight container.
Drizzle a bit more olive oil on top of the pesto, place a piece of wax paper or plastic wrap directly on top of the sauce to keep the air out and then freeze for up to 3 months.


Enjoy!

I received a gift certificate from CSN Stores, which I used to purchase this blender for review. All opinions are 100% mine!

4 comments:

jenn September 29, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

I can not wait to try this recipe! It look yummy. I do have one question...if I don't freeze it, and have leftovers, how long is it good in the fridge?

Tara Beaulieu September 30, 2010 at 4:48 PM  

Hey Jenn- I am pretty finicky and won't eat it after 4 days, but I think a week would probably be okay. That's why I made batches and froze the rest. I froze them in sizes appropriate for 1 meal so I can just use what I need. :) Let me know how you like it!

Thanks, Storm, it was so tasty- I was dying for dinner time all day, lol!

jenn September 30, 2010 at 6:56 PM  

Thanks Tara. I was thinking three days, so your four sounds good. I seriously am going to buy the ingredients next week when I food shop. I put store bought pesto on my sandwiches, and I bet the home made will taste so much better.

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP