Monday Night Craft Night- working on a bird bath

>> Tuesday, April 27, 2010

So about a year and a half ago, I made a bird bath. And when I say "made" I mean I bought this mold from this great eBay seller, I lugged a giant bag of cement home from the hardware store and I actually mixed, poured and formed my own basin for a bird bath.

After pricing out concrete bird baths at local home improvement stores, I decided that even if I never made another one, this was still about half the price of buying one already made, so it was definitely worth it!

The idea was that I would mosaic it and put it in my garden. Well I started out on a roll. Here you can see I started cutting the glass and laying it out in a pattern.

I even managed to adhere that bit to the bottom of the basin.

Then life got in the way and so did the bird bath, so it got shoved under the basement stairs where it sat. And sat. And collected dust kitties. And ewwww.

Okay, now fast forward to last night- the year and a half later bit of my story. I hauled it out of the basement and up into my car and down to my friend Lexi's house for craft night. And I finally got around to doing some more work on it.


You can see I was working on the green and blue section. It was a pain because I had to come up and over curves- which required me to make really small cuts (something I'm not terribly good at!)


The general idea is that the rainbow will come over the sides and "land" in the white "cloud" section at the bottom- which isn't very cloudish looking at the moment but I've only just started that section as well. It will, I promise!


I am bound and determined to get this thing into my garden before summer is over! This is going to be my "because I want to" project this week.

Many people think my job is great- I get to be creative and make things all the time. And while that's true, sometimes it's hard because if I have a large order to fill, like 50 of the same Christmas ornament, it looses some of the creative fun and just becomes WORK like anything else.

So when I'm super busy with real work, sometimes it's fun to take a break and do some fun (read: unpaid) work to help keep my creative juices flowing!

Hopefully I'll have some more progress photos to show in the coming week. Wish me luck!

OOPS! I almost forgot to mention that I bought the cute starfish tile (and also a whimsical little red crab that I'll use on another project) from artsyhandpaints on Etsy!

9 comments:

Stephanie April 27, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

This birdbath is going to be so beautiful. I love the rainbow theme.You are going to cherish this for many, many years! Peace, Stephanie

Tara Beaulieu April 27, 2010 at 11:17 AM  

Thanks Stephanie, it's a labor of love, I can't wait for it to finally be finished!

BEadECLECTIC April 27, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

I really like this!

Birds also like bright colors... it will be cool to see how many more come visit you! (Here's a link I saw with some info on it.) :)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20060824161346AA4d1rU

Completely Coastal April 28, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

It looks like a lot of work..., but oh it's gorgeous!!! Make sure you place it so you can admire it from your window too!

Maya @ Completely Coastal

Completely Coastal April 28, 2010 at 12:50 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown May 2, 2010 at 4:21 PM  

That is going to be spectacular.. Oh wow. I wish you were my neighbor.

Petula May 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM  

That's pretty cool. I love the starfish in the center. I think it's going to be fabulous when you're finished. I don't think I have the patience to do something like that. I'd like to make some garden stones/squares that Frugal Family Fun Blog wrote about with the children's hand prints and let them each design one.

Anonymous,  December 30, 2013 at 9:49 PM  

Is it finished? I'd love to see it, it looks so beautiful already.

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP