>> Monday, April 26, 2010
1. Wash empty tin cans and remove all the labels and glue from the outsides
2. Ask a grown up to smooth out any sharp edges
3. Decorate the cans with paints, shells, rocks or anything else you like!
(Sticking one's tongue out usually leads to better concentration and creativity)
The middle one has different pictures on each side
4. Put a layer of small rocks in the bottom of the can (this helps the water to drain through the dirt)
5. Add a layer of potting soil on top of the rocks
6. Put your plant into the can and then fill in with more soil
7. Give your plant a drink of water
8. If you are giving it as a gift, tie on a little tag with growing instructions (Ours are going to school for Aidan to present for his "recycling invention" project- and then home as gifts for the teacher and aides. We also printed out these instructions for each of Aidan's classmates)
I am thinking that a giant tin can (like from a large can of coffee) would look adorable on my front steps. I'm thinking trusty white spray paint and then perhaps some black lettering with my house number on it or something and some more pretty pansies?... we'll see!