Tin Can Flower Pots, a Kid Friendly Recycling Craft

>> Monday, April 26, 2010


1. Wash empty tin cans and remove all the labels and glue from the outsides

2. Ask a grown up to smooth out any sharp edges

3. Decorate the cans with paints, shells, rocks or anything else you like!



(Sticking one's tongue out usually leads to better concentration and creativity)

The middle one has different pictures on each side


4. Put a layer of small rocks in the bottom of the can (this helps the water to drain through the dirt)



5. Add a layer of potting soil on top of the rocks

6. Put your plant into the can and then fill in with more soil

7. Give your plant a drink of water

8. If you are giving it as a gift, tie on a little tag with growing instructions (Ours are going to school for Aidan to present for his "recycling invention" project- and then home as gifts for the teacher and aides. We also printed out these instructions for each of Aidan's classmates)



I am thinking that a giant tin can (like from a large can of coffee) would look adorable on my front steps. I'm thinking trusty white spray paint and then perhaps some black lettering with my house number on it or something and some more pretty pansies?... we'll see!

3 comments:

Stephanie April 27, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

Your son looks so sweet working on his flower pot. What a great idea, I used to help my kids make pencil cans from old tin cans, and I still use and cherish them to this day. I have featured you on my blog today, the post is here; http://peaceloveandhome.blogspot.com/2010/04/follower-feature-tara.html

Peace, Stephanie

Unknown April 27, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Gosh thats adorable and lol on the tongue and concentration :)

Tara Beaulieu April 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM  

Hi Stephanie, oh we have pen holders too- he made them from the frozen juice concentrate containers. Thanks for the kind feature on your blog, so sweet of you!

Tracy, omg, right? It's so flippin funny, the harder he works the more intense the tongue! LOL!

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP