It's been a while- how about a recipe?

>> Monday, February 7, 2011

I've been working out hard using my EA Sports Active game that I mentioned here. I haven't slacked off, I've been eating well and have started to see some small but steady progress!

The one bummer thing is that I love to cook. And I DON'T love to cook healthy stuff. I mainly eat boring things like chicken breast, baked fish, veggies, etc.

Today I decided I should cook something tasty. I am not sure how healthy it is, but I don't think it's terrible for me and I am in the mood for a yummy belly warming treat. So without further ado, I bring you my favorite Chinese Take-Out-At-Home:

Wonton Soup!

Filling Ingredients:
1 pkg premade wonton wrappers* (found in the vegetarian section of my market)
1/2 lb ground pork (I buy in 1 pound packs and seperate for two soup batches)
1 TBSP soy sauce (go ahead and use lite if you prefer!)
1 TBSP oyster sauce (this stuff will keep in your fridge for a good long while!)
1/2 tsp sugar
1 tsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp pepper
1 scallion (green onion) minced
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
OPTIONAL: (but really yummy!) a few dashes of Hot Chili Sesame Oil

Soup Ingredients:
1-2 boneless pork cutlets or chops** Olive oil, salt and pepper
6 cups of chicken or beef broth (homemade or packaged, whatever you have on hand I used fat free beef broth this time)
3 scallions, chopped

*my wonton wrappers:


**To save a little $$, I try to buy the meat packs that have peel off coupons on them for instant savings due to an impending "sell by" date, I prepack them with the wonton wrappers and freeze them for future use (and yes, I know my zip top bags have Lightnin' McQueen on them, thanks for noticing)


Directions:
First, pound out the pork cutlets to 1/2" thick, then slice into thin strips about 1 to 1 1/2 inches long and 1/8" wide. Season with salt and pepper.

In a small pan, add a drizzle of olive oil and heat to medium. Toss the pork strips into the pan and cook through (really fast, about 2-3 minutes). Set aside for later.

Making the Wontons: Add all ingredients together into a mixing bowl and combine well. Take a scant tsp of filling and place in the center of each wonton wrapper.

Moisten all 4 edges of the wrapper with water and fold in half, pressing the sides to seal and remove air pockets.

Next, fold the wonton in half again, grabbing the bottom corners and pinching them together.


Your wonton should sort of look like a nurse's cap.

This takes some practice and if you don't keep the wonton skins moist, they will split. There are usually instructions for folding them on the packages.

You can also opt to just gather the end all together and twist, to make a coin pouch shape- whatever floats your boat. I use all of mine, split ones, perfect ones, lopsided ones, whatever, they still taste good!

While you're wrapping your wontons, start some water boiling in a pot. In a second pot, heat your broth to a simmer.

Boil the wontons in small batches for about 3-4 minutes, until they float (just like ravioli). Remove them from the water, drain and add to the broth.


For serving, place some of the pork slices in the bottom of a bowl,
spoon in the soup (allow 6-8 wontons per person) and garnish with the scallions and another dash or two of the sesame oil of desired.

Enjoy!

6 comments:

EFT Manual February 7, 2011 at 7:33 PM  

The dish looks very delicious and awesome!

Catherine February 7, 2011 at 7:53 PM  

My daughter and I did this for New Years. It was so much fun and very good.
Your wonton soup looks very delicious!
cheers~

jenn February 8, 2011 at 6:09 AM  

You make it look so easy, and delicious! I am going to have to try this one.

Twisting the Spanner February 8, 2011 at 8:42 PM  

Wow, that looks absolutely delicious!

SixBalloons February 16, 2011 at 2:50 AM  

Looks great! My mom makes them with less folds - she just folds them into triangles and boils them that way. It's a bit sloppier for eating but much faster.

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP