Nigella Lawson Makes One Pan Sage and Onion Chicken and Sausage

>> Thursday, February 24, 2011

Phew, how's that for a long recipe title?!

I know I promised to post this yesterday, but technically I am typing this while it is yesterday, I'm just scheduling it to post today. ;)

Over the weekend I came across Nigella Lawson on the new Cooking Channel.

She's one of my favorites because I can tell she really loves (and eats!) what she cooks. She's curvy, she snacks on things while she's making them and she sneaks leftovers from the fridge at the end of the night!

If you've never watched her on TV or read a cookbook, I strongly suggest you check her out.

This past weekend she was making a chicken and sausage dish that she said is a staple in her house. (And after I made it, I can understand why. It's SO tasty!)

Without further ado, I bring you Nigella's

One Pan Sage and Onion Chicken and Sausage

Ingredients:

1 large onion or 2 small onions
1/2 cup olive oil (she specifies NOT Extra Virgin, but it's all I had and I think it came out fine)
2 teaspoons English mustard (I didn't have this so I used spicy brown)
1 tablespoon dried sage
Freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 lemon

1 (4-pound) chicken, jointed into 10 pieces (I bought bone-in, skin-on chicken pieces on sale- total for 4 pounds cost me $3)
12 sausages (I had sweet Italian- which is the sort she used on the show, but you could health it up slightly by using turkey or chicken sausage here)
2 tablespoons fresh sage leaves, chopped (I omitted this as well, on the show she said if you didn't have them, don't worry about it)

Directions:
Peel and cut the onion into eighths, and put into a freezer bag with the oil, mustard, dried sage, a good grinding of pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Cut lemon in half, squeeze juice into bag, and then cut the halves into eighths and add them. Squidge everything around to mix -Can I just interrupt to tell you how fun it is to read someone who writes their recipes they way they talk? Squidging is exactly the right word to describe what I did- (the mustard needs help to combine) and then add the chicken pieces. Leave to marinade in the refrigerator overnight, or for up to 2 days. (I did overnight, I can only imagine how heavenly with flavor 2 days would be!)


Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Allow the chicken to come to room temperature in its marinade.

Arrange the chicken pieces in a roasting tin skin side up with the marinade, including all the bits and pieces, and tuck the sausages around them.

Sprinkle the fresh sage leaves over the chicken and sausages and then put the tin into the oven to cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Turn the sausages over half way through to color them evenly.

Arrange the chicken and sausages on a large platter to serve.
And I repeat. SO GOOD!

I served ours with some simple oven roasted potatoes (also a recipe from Nigella found here and some simple steamed veg)
My next food adventure involves how to slightly healthify (is that a word?) a packaged carrot cake mix to include more fiber and protein so I can justify eating a cupcake. Happy Cooking!



Linking up to Fun with Food Friday at Paisley Passions!

3 comments:

Rose Clearfield February 24, 2011 at 9:10 AM  

That sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

Catherine February 24, 2011 at 1:00 PM  

Nigella is a favorite cook of mine. I thoroughly agree that she looks like she enjoys eating and eats what she cooks. Very nice recipe. Blessings, Catherine

Tara Beaulieu February 26, 2011 at 12:05 PM  

Thanks for the comments ladies. Tracy- I so agree. While I have made and enjoyed some of the recipes of a certain teeny tiny Italian TV personality/chef, I am certain she never eats more than the mouthful required of her for the "tasting shot" during filming. There is no way. Not humanly possible.

Unless of course, she's not human. Which is entirely possible.

BTW, I ate the leftover chicken from this Nigella dish for lunch two days in a row- cold from the fridge, dipped into some spicy mustard and it was even better than the first night!

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP