Retro Tuesday- Is my old bathroom hip again?

>> Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Over at Crazy Suburban Mom's place, she's chatting about retro bathrooms this morning- though she's showing off ads with some prettier colors colors than what I've been blessed with. I'm talking 1970s over here. Remember Harvest Gold and Avocado Green?

We have family friends who've been blessed with the Harvest Gold version- toilet, tiled walls and shower, vinyl flooring, you name it. When we bought our little ranch house, we got the Avocado Green version. (this is a realtor photo- note how he took it from an angle obscuring the full affect of the giant oval green toilet?)

Also obscured in the realtor photo is Previous Owner's bad DIY flooring redo- note the wonderful job she did cutting the vinyl around the base of the toilet and heavens knows what the discoloration is on the floor (partially hidden by my happy new tp basket)- I have scrubbed it with everything known to man and it is still there.

People keep telling me "sell that toilet on Craig's List, people are SO into that again!" Really, who? Where are they? Point me in their direction- I'd take the toilet off the bolts now and drive it to their house in the snow.

Fortunately for us, Previous Owner DID hire Bath Fitter to come in prior to listing the house, so at least the shower has been updated!

Previous Owner seemed to suffer from some green-love-lost when losing the green tile in the shower. So, to balance it out, she decided to paint the walls AND the ceiling a nice matching shade of green. On it's own, not a bad color, in fact I rather like green and have it in other parts of my house- but to "complement" bad design with green? A travesty. And I believe at some point there was a leak in the bathtub plumbing because there's a section of tiled wall that runs right along where the pipes are for the tub faucet and they are all a slightly DIFFERENT shade of avocado. Apparently they had to break into the wall to repair the leak and couldn't find an exact match for the tiles when they replaced the broken ones.

Some other fine points of my bathroom include:

The built in soap dish and toothbrush holders that don't fit any modern toothbrushes, not to be outdone by the Bell Telephone wall plate covering up a phone jack (painted white by Previous Owner; she had an obsession with Ultra Pure White paint base, but more on that in another post). Cuz we all want to chat to our girlfriends while indisposed in the washroom, right?

And the "updated" brass and gold fixtures are pleasant too...

And the marblesque formica counter top. Stunning!

In my search attempts to find out who out there might actually like my green bathroom, I did find a clever looking site: Retro Renovation

So you be the judge- is it "hip" or horrible? (My vote is in the horrible camp!)

<<<<<<<<<<<< Take the poll, on the top left of this page. Come on, tell me how much you love it!

linked up to at The Crazy Suburban Mom.

5 comments:

Vonlipi February 16, 2010 at 1:26 PM  

I don't think it's that bad, of course I haven't seen it in the flesh! Personnaly I would totally make it MORE retro instead of trying to update it but that's just me. I love the build in soap and tooth brush holders.

Good luck finding buyers on Craiglist for the toilet bowl...It didn't help me at all to get rid of my 70's stuff....nobody wanted it!

Anonymous,  February 16, 2010 at 4:32 PM  

We have a very similar bathroom. Fun participating in Retro Tuesday, I've never done it before.

Lin February 17, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

Oh, I have a lovely green bathtub that would look FABULOUS in there. I'll give it to you cheap. If only I could get it out.;)

Tara Beaulieu February 17, 2010 at 5:37 PM  

LOL, Ummmm... No. Thank you, Lin

Nico- yes our house was built in 1971. Funny how so many people across the country can identify with decor in different parts of my house!

CastoCreations February 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

Oh my gosh...I really like it! LOL My hubby would probably hate it but I love the "retro" feel...especially the built in 'holder' thingies. LOL Too awesome. And that toilet may be worth quite a bit of cash ... if it's not a low flow one. I am dreading replacing our old toilets because I HATE low flow ones! Finding an old, but nice, one would be awesome.

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP