So this is what 78 pounds of meat looks like...

>> Monday, February 22, 2010

Budget and bulk grocery shopping, pantry stocking, coupon cutting, PART ONE

Chronicling my learning experiences as I begin to track our spending and eating habits in an attempt to create a food budget that is smaller than our current unbudgeted (but still done on the cheap) food lifestyle.


The first thing I've begun doing is saving receipts. ALL our food related receipts. I'm hoping I can begin to pick out the patterns- when we shop for convenience instead of for savings, how often we eat out (and why), what sorts of foods we are buying and what percent of our total food bill does each type make up.

I'm still in the fledgling stages of this process- I have almost 1 month worth of receipts in a giant mound on my desk. I didn't want to wait to start blogging though- because this past Thursday brought a payday and with it, an on-call paycheck, which meant extra grocery money to go to Sam's Club and stock up on meats.


SO- while this process is probably going to be choppy and bounce around; topic to topic as I do stuff, here's what I've learned so far:

That separating 78 pounds of meat into individual meals thrills the hell out me, lol. Today I spent 2 hours, 28 gallon size zip top bags, 14 sandwich size zip top bags, about 8 feet of plastic wrap and 3 feet of aluminum foil to pack up 48 meals worth of beef, pork and chicken products.

Here's the breakdown:

(2) whole oven roaster chickens (2 meals each)
(8) 5 pc bags Italian sausage
(3) 1lb packs bacon
(8) 1 ½ lb bags 90% lean ground beef
(2) 1 ¼ lb bags 80% ground beef
(6) 1 lb bags stew beef
(6) pork tenderloins
(2) 4 ½ pc bags pork chops
(9) 5-6 pc bags boneless chicken breast halves
_________________________________________
Total cost for 48 meals: $169.67
Average $3.53 worth of meat per meal OR $.71 per person


I know, I am INSANE, right? I can't begin to express how excited I was doing the math for this! (read: dork)

The next thing I did was make a simple little list to tape to the top of my chest freezer so I could keep track of what I have. I love having an extra freezer to store all this stuff, but if you're in the market, I highly recommend getting a stand up freezer with shelving. I lose stuff in the bottom of the freezer constantly and have to dig around shuffling stuff and making even more of a mess every time I want to pull out something for dinner- which inevitably leads to me buying stuff I already have simply because I can't find what I'm looking for!


So that's what I did today, and I'm damn proud of it, too! Now I need to work on menu planning based on the meats and dry goods I have. (Ugh, dry goods- my pantry, the bane of my existence. I have no idea how to work out a good system for stocking it, but that's another post entirely!)

6 comments:

Laura February 22, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

Good for you. It does sound exciting. Sure does to me.... I have my menu down and usually at the grocery store about 4x a week to purchase my meats. I am going to create a list similar to yours. I so want to say one day, that I only spent $25.00 on 300.00 worth of groceries.

Unknown February 22, 2010 at 11:50 PM  

I miss couponing. I was sooo good at it. I usually don't leave the house on Sunday's and my husband usually forgets to bring a couple of newspapers home. Isn't it great to have a freezer stocked full of foods?

Ruth February 23, 2010 at 5:01 AM  

I have just recently discovered the joys of couponing (had an $80 grocery bill shaved down to $58 with sales and coupons the other day)! I've recently signed up on The Grocery Game (still in the free trial period) and it's actually a lot of fun going through the sales circulars and Sunday paper inserts. My family seems to think I'm a little nuts but hey, I'm having fun and saving money too!

A while back there was a lady on the news who saved so much money couponing, a camera crew followed her on a shopping trip and she got something like $200 of groceries for less than a dollar! Might have been Teri from TGG, I'm not sure. She said she saves $50,000 a year on groceries for a family of six. I hope I can do that well someday!

Unknown February 23, 2010 at 1:18 PM  

Wow, I've tried to do this a bunch of times and failed - and as much as your dorking on yourself...lol...I failed because I didnt do enough! Not that I did too much.

So I think all your doing is GREAT! and cant wait to see how it turns out

CastoCreations February 23, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

OH MY GOSH! I LOVE the little spreadsheet!!! That would be SO useful for us. We're always forgetting what we have in our deep freezer. Not to mention the little freezers.

I'm really hoping that once I'm done with my current job and get settled into my new job I'll be able to start a routine that includes planning meals (and learning to cook more things) and stocking up like that.

SO awesome!!!

I saved over $50 at Target this weekend, and the other day paid $0.54 for $37 worth of stuff at Target. I LOVE coupons but have had to cut back for lack of time. :)

Post a Comment

Share with me, I would love to hear your thoughts!

Blog template by simplyfabulousbloggertemplates.com

Back to TOP